It was at Mosi-Oa-Tunya where the agreement leading to a treaty between Barotseland and Britain was concluded by King Lewanika of Barotseland in 1900. Victoria Falls was named after Her Majesty Queen Victoria of Great Britain during King Lewanika’s reign.
King Lewanika was the one who permitted the B.S.A Company to establish Livingstone Town in 1905.
Overwhelming and documented Barotse history and geography points to and proves that the town of Livingstone belonged to and shall forever be part of Barotseland.
Silozi - Barotseland national Language and Lingua franca, has always been used as the official local language in schools until 2007.
Identification of the territory of Barotseland and its frontiers
The National territory of the Kingdom of Barotseland currently under claim shall consist of the whole territory of Barotseland as it were from 1900 to 1947, without taking areas that were regarded as her subject or dependent territories into consideration; that is:
- Eastern boundaries shall stretch from Itezhi-Tezhi to the confluence of river Chiababi with Zambezi (longitude 26 degrees East)
- Northern boundaries shall stretch from the confluence of Lufupa river with river Kafue, Westwards to the Lungwebungu river, (longitude 22 degrees East);
- Western boundary shall start from Lungwebungu river (Latitude 13 degrees 28 minutes South) then
- Southward to Cuando river, down to the confluence of Cuando with river Luiana extending to Katima Mulilo Rapids, running along the Zambezi, Eastward to its confluence with river Chiababi (longitude 26 degrees East).