THE BAROTSE NATIONAL COUNCIL (BNC) - Held at Limulunga, Barotseland on 26th and 27th March 2012
WE THE PEOPLE OF BAROTSELAND; having constituted and deliberated as a National Council on 26th to 27th March, 2012 in Limulunga in the Barotseland Nation on the status and future of the Barotseland Nation in the Republic of Zambia, hereby declare this day of Tuesday March 27, 2012 at the close of our deliberations as follows:
RECOGNIZING that the Barotseland Agreement 1964 provided the basis on which Barotseland became an integral part of Zambia and took the place of the treaties and other agreements hitherto subsisting between Her Majesty the Queen and the Litunga of Barotseland.
ACKNOWLEDGING that the Barotseland Agreement 1964’s aim was to provide a safe guard against encroachment on the powers of the people of Barotseland to self government by Central Government of Zambia.
REALIZING that the new state of Zambia, which came into being on October 24, 1964, never ratified the Barotseland Agreement entered into between Barotseland and Northern Rhodesia Governments on May 18,1964, and despite its non-ratification, unliterary abrogated by Zambia in 1969.
AWARE that, the unilateral termination of the Barotseland Agreement 1964 by the government of Zambia is a violation of the right of Barotseland to self determination and repudiation of the purported integration of the territory of Barotseland into Zambia.
RECOGNIZING that successive Zambian governments never took steps necessary to ensure that the laws for the time being in force in the Republic of Zambia are not inconsistent with the provisions of the Agreement.
AWARE that successive Zambian governments continued to undermine the modernization of Barotseland institutions and governance required to run an independent modern state as well as meddle in the national affairs of Barotseland, resulting in conflict in some sections of the Barotseland Nation.
RECALLING that successive Zambian governments illegally administered and controlled Barotseland by intimidation and force since October 24, 1964, despite continued protests from the people of Barotseland against such transgressions, including futile calls to restore the Agreement.
KNOWING that Barotseland’s right to autonomy on governance and political affairs is inborn and has been protected by treaties since the first encounter with foreign powers.
REJECTING the expectation or notion by the Zambian government that we surrender our autonomy as expressed in the Barotseland Agreement 1964 in return for economic development.
WE NOW INFORM Zambia and the international community that we finally accept the unilateral nullification and the abrogation of the Barotseland Agreement 1964 by the Zambian government, which action has freed Barotseland from being part of Zambia.
In line with the Post liminium doctrine we can no longer be obliged to honour an international Agreement that the other party has nullified and abrogated, which has reverted us to our original status.
WE THE PEOPLE OF BAROTSELAND DECLARE that Barotseland is now free to pursue its own self-determination and destiny.
WE ARE COMMITTED TO A PEACEFUL DISENGAGEMENT with the Zambian government in the same manner that we attempted integration as a state within Zambia.
WE CALL ON THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY to support our legitimate right to self determination as a people and nation by resolving as follows:
1. That all the people in Barotseland shall continue to enjoy the centuries old harmonious peaceful co-existence by all the ethnic groups as had always been the case.
2. That the people of Barotseland shall not, in any way, take kindly to any individual, authority or groups of individuals bringing the institution of the Litungaship into public ridicule and disrepute by making derogatory remarks with intent to undermine the authority of the Litunga and Barotse Government.
3. The Zambian government to immediately refrain from committing actions of violence and intimidation against the people of Barotseland.
4. That no part of Barotseland shall be ceded to any other country.
5. The Barotse Government should immediately formalize the DECLARATION OF DISPUTE with the Zambian Government on the basis that the Zambian Government has violated and unilaterally abrogated the Unity Treaty whose purpose was to bind the two territories of Barotseland and the rest of Zambia, and also notify the SADC, AU, Commonwealth and United Nations of that fact.
6. The people of Barotseland shall exercise their right to revert Barotseland to its original status as a sovereign nation, so that the people of Barotseland shall determine their political, cultural, social and economic development.
7. The Barotse Government is mandated to, within 30 days, request the United Nations to oversee the transition process.
8. The Barotse Government should, within 30 days, put in place a transition process leading to taking over all government functions in Barotseland and the election of the KATENGO Legislative Council.
9. We mandate the Barotse Government to immediately engage the Zambian government with the sole purpose of working out transitional arrangements towards self-determination for Barotseland within the shortest possible time under the auspices of the United Nations.
10. The Barotse Government should embark on reforms to modernize its functions and enhance accountability and transparency.
11. The Barotse Government should immediately establish a Secretariat comprising of such number of Officers as required to run such an office.
12. The Barotse Government should convene the next BNC at the end of June 2012 to receive reports on the progress on the above resolutions.
BAROTSE NATIONAL COUNCIL RESOLUTIONS COMMITTEE
Full Names, Position in the Committee and Title / Institutions
Mr. Mutungulu Wanga, Chairman in the Committee, Chairman / MOREBA
Mr. Mwangelwa Akapelwa, Secretary in the Committee, Induna Mayunyi / Namuso
Mr. Mungandi Mungandi, Member in the Committee, Secretary / MOREBA
Mr. Namiluko Imwaka, Member in the Committee, Namuso
Mr. Lubinda Nyaywa, Member in the Committee, Induna Amuikuteile/Mwandi
Mr. Chazele Mulasikwanda, Member in the Committee, Secretary / BFM
Mr. Afumba Mombotwa, Member in the Committee, Chairperson / Linyungandambo
Mr. Mwangelwa M-Lewanika, Vice Secretary in the Committee, Member / MOREBA
Approved by the Barotse National Council, on this 27th day of March, 2012, as signed by:
Clement W. Sinyinda - NGAMBELA
Batuke Imenda – MUKULWAKASHIKO