Following some media reports published recently concerning Barotseland and the now defunct BA’64 one can perceive clearly that some elites of “Unitary” ZRE (Zambian Republic Extortionists are in synchrony with some elites of BRE (Barotse Royal Establishment)). The reports; starting with the IG’s press remarks in March 2016, Zambian President’s statements both in Barotseland and Zambia late April 2016, and finally the Vice President’s remarks the same week but in Zambian parliament all indicated serious combination of acceptance, distortions and denial of the reality of Barotse Change. In my view, it is a revelation of serious schemes by Zambia aimed at but not limited to;
- Rebut of the 2012 BNC they validated by their full attendance; both BRE and ZRE; Is it possible?
- Coerce Barotseland citizens to remain as part of Zambia without any legal basis; how possible?
- Create the most crooked reason for blackmailing and condemning our gallant incarcerated BTG leaders forever; after being rightly sanctioned by the 2012 BNC Mandate; a Zambian haunting political and legal quagmire!
- Lengthen the Due Process started at the international legal fora for the final and amicable settlement of the lawsuit; by instituting illegal and baseless local remedies to the half- century old econopolitical impasse between Barotseland and Zambia.
- Create generative ground for Impeding progress at ICJ if possible or to refuse to accede to the jurisdictive pronouncements thereof finally.
However, there is one consolation; a matter of legal and epistemological clarity that for an IDEA like Barotse Change whose time has come there will be no amount of deceit or parading of some Lozi nationals in key Zambian positions will manage to pay to eclipse the reality of Barotse Change. Barotseland Independence is God’s way for us too as reflected in Act 17:26, “And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation…" Of particular significance are the following observations:
1. Barotseland is already an INDEPENDENT NATION AND STATE determined and appointed in times before and her bounds (territory) of our habitation (Barotseland) by God (Nyambe), whether Zambia accepts this sooner or later. The persistent moves by Zambia therefore, to encroach our territoriality are both confrontational and contemptuous of us and God. So Zambia should not expect us to watch idly when our territoriality is incessantly violated and intruded by her. Our day of freedom has come. This is a conclusive fact.
2. Secondly, we have the legitimate BAROTSELAND GOVERNMENT (BTG) with full powers in exercise of its national and legal mandate to protect Barotseland and her people from the ever scavenging politicians praying upon the unsuspecting Barotzis. Like Zambia, BTG has every right and duty to do everything possible in its mandate by the 2012 BNC to entrench our full independence and statehood, defense inclusive like all other state functions and functionaries. This does not require the consensus or permission of UN, AU, SADC or any other than our BTG, according to Barotseland and international laws we subscribe to as a country. Like it has been said before, we do not have and DO NOT NEED a “Barotse Liberation Army” or a Rebel Army for we are already liberated whether Zambia disengages with us sooner or later. Of course we understand that having been in Zambianship environment for nearly 50 years our people are expected to show the vestiges of Zambianism for a while. But the enemies of Barotse Change should not take advantage of the situation. Britain never did that to Zambians after attainment of Zambia’s independence! This is an irrefutable fact.
3. INTERNATIONAL LAW RECOGNIZES THAT GOVERNMENT IN WAITING OR IN EXILE MAY UNDERTAKE MANY TYPES OF ACTIONS IN THE CONDUCT OF THEIR DAILY AFFAIRS. Zambia as UN member knows this undeniable legal and political fact and appended her signature to pledge commitment and compliance to these international tenets of law, justice and human rights entrenchment. Evidence here exists when President Edgar Lungu of Zambia welcomed on Wednesday 17th February 2016 a diplomat accredited to Zambia from Saharawi Arab Democratic Republic (Western Sahara) which is currently under Moroccan occupation -3(d) below. Consequently, this means that THE ACTIONS ARE NOT ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES to do but are allowed in international law and politics. These actions include:
a) Becoming a party to bilateral Agreement. (e.g. UNPO, FFSA & UNFS)
b) Amending or revising its constitution. (e.g. Transitional Constitution)
c) MAINTAINING MILITARY FORCES. (e.g. Barotse Native Police and Defence forces)
d) Newly obtaining diplomatic recognition by sovereign states etc. (Diplomats)
The concept of government in waiting does not mean that Barotse Government is new altogether rather an opportunity given to our once unitary statehood partner Zambian brothers and sisters to engage in the logical resolution of our Barotse Change amicably so we can remain delightful neighbours. Barotseland and her government are not new institutions in the Zambian and world history but are even much older than Zambia herself! Barotseland and Barotse Government are antiques that have been going through transitions and different phases changing names sometimes; for instance ‘Western Province’ and ‘BRE’ against our will, instead of Barotseland and Barotse Royal Authority -BRA.
4. NORTHERN RHODESIA THROUGH THE BRITISH GOVERNMENT COAXED BAROTSELAND to go for a Unitary Treaty dubbed as the BA’64 which treaty Zambia was quick to abrogate and repudiate soon after it was signed, thus despising and rendering futile her own creation and innovation! We were not obliged to honour what the initiator Northern Rhodesia could not honour. There is also an indisputable fact that Zambia has been a rogue and dysfunctional unitary state from the time she abrogated and repudiated the BA’64 unitary treaty. The reality of Barotse Change and materiality of evidence in favour of our nationhood and statehood, in all aspects, is overwhelming beyond doubt. Whether Zambia knows this or not and whether or not she wants it that will not change the facts. This is another incontrovertible fact.
5. When Kenneth Kaunda signed the BA ’64 he did it in bad faith as a quick way of getting what they wanted – the prestige of a larger unitary piece of land to govern and yet failed to do so! Today they say the problem with BA ’64 was the interpretation and not implementation. They implemented the interpretation of the document the way they self-styled it; ONE ZAMBIA ONE NATION. Unfortunately, this slogan could neither make Zambia a monolithic nor Federal state. To the contrary, with us the problem with the abrogated and defunct BA ’64 was the implementation and not the interpretation thereof. That is why we finally took the stance in form of the 2012 BNC RESOLUTIONS AND UDI MANDATE. Simply put, BA ‘64 could not be implemented! This is an unarguable fact also.
6. Then BAROTSE NATION ACCEPTED AND FINALLY NAILED THE LAST NAIL TO THE ABROGATED AND REPUDIATED BA’64 BY ZAMBIA this way rendering it a defunct and no longer binding agreement on both parties. This is an indisputable fact, so that what we could not do in freedom of dependence on each other should be done best in freedom of our independences from each other – just remain neighbouring states. Otherwise, it was just a blessing in disguise for history has proved that democratic republic is incompatible with democratic Monarch system of governance, in the Zambian case, to render an effective union of unitary state.
7. Therefore, the only appropriate terms that apply now are DISENGAGEMENT, TRUE INDEPENDENCE and SOVEREIGNTY of both parties of Barotseland and Northern Rhodesia. That will be the only time when Zambia will know the true meaning of the terms in her real political life without Barotzis. It is not true that Zambia cannot survive without us. The converse is equally true – YES WE CAN. Otherwise, for nearly fifty years Zambia has been politically prostituting with Barotseland and living faked life, in the absence of the marriage treaty BA’64. This is not a deniable fact which neither BRE select nor ZRE select can do to the contrary, by their planned exclusive and inclusive selective meetings. History has recorded that our nearly fifty years in rogue and dysfunctional Zambia was due to unyielding Barotseland’s efforts towards the restoration of the unitary treaty BA’64 which WAS NULLIFIED in March 2012, beyond any restoration. How patient we had been!
8. For that reason, NULLIFYING ALL CALLS AND EFFORTS FOR RESTORATION OF THE DEFUNCT TREATY (though Zambian Vice President told Parley that “BA’64 is not dead”). This is because restoration of a defunct treaty becomes a serious misnomer in this case for there have been no trace elements of the union treaty as was purported by the defunct BA’64 in the “Zambian” period. IF IT WAS POSSIBLE the only attemptable route would have been a new treaty negotiation which COULD ONLY be endeavoured after full disengagement initially. The term referendum is also a serious misnomer over the same. This fact is unquestionable too.
9. The Zambian amended constitutions have had no record suggesting and defining the very unitary statehood they claim other than “The Republic is a unitary, indivisible, multi-ethnic, multiracial, multi-religious, multi-cultural and multi-party democratic State”. There is NO GHOST OR MONO UNITARY PARTNERSHIP IN INTERNATIONAL LAWS. The indisputable fact is that Zambia is a sovereign Republic under constitutional form of governance not unitary. We have all the legal and historic facts in our favour. Both the international and Zambian laws give testimony to the fact that the course of action we have decided to pursue in response to Zambia’s abrogation and repudiation of the BA’64 is very rational and credible to get us the legitimacy of the state Barotseland has attained. This is an indisputable fact to all lovers of law, peace, justice and order, both in Barotseland and international fraternity.
10. Another indisputable fact is that the two territories have remained separate lands and nations despite the political and economic DISTORTION OF THE ZAMBIAN HISTORY prior to 1964, after 1964 and later on 2012. For instance, it is common knowledge that Lewanika existed on the political platform before Kaunda and yet Lewanika is not even suggested in the Zambian hall of fame celebrated during even during the “Golden Jubilee”, as the founding father of Zambia preferring instead the young brother KK, and yet the unitary statehood included the Litunga’s signature alongside Kaunda’s! Fortunately, though our history is seriously dented in Zambia it is very alive in the world, Africa and SADC, through Lewanika’s distinguished role played especially in Southern Africa. Undoubtedly, this is another agonising truth.
11. If at all Zambia feels she has a case to put against Barotseland’s independence agenda she should have found it easy and opportune to challenge it or avail herself to international arbitrators. It is the SAME TREACHERY AND MALEVOLENT NATURE OF ZAMBIA AGAINST BAROTSELAND that makes her circumvent appearing in courts of Law to defend her cause. To the contrary, she has been quick to detain and litigate us, in her local courts, using her laws, for what is lawfully and rightfully ours! A case of this magnitude is a preserve of international legal framework and institutions. The behaviour displayed by the legal person Zambia so far is really nothing less than sedition and treason against Barotseland by Northern Rhodesia in Zambia, unlike the other way round currently portrayed, after sweet-talking and faithfully negotiating and appending signatures to launch the BA’64? This is a heart-breaking evolution of fact.
12. When Zambian leaders are busy circumventing the reality of Barotseland Change citizens of that country are pushing for KK’s birthday to be a public holiday as though he signed the BA’64 alone to birth the nation of Zambia! All these and many more facts evidence that Zambia has had no room for Barotseland, ONLY ILL-FATED WILL, judging by their schemes to obliterate us. This is an indisputable fact which given chance only time will tell.
13. We have made so much progress such that no amount of threats, bribing, betrayals, tortures, maiming and the like will help reverse the situation other than expatiate and expedite our agenda for the ultimate-our Total Independence, FOR THERE IS NO OTHER WAY. The year 1964 was not 2012, vice versa, and the political awareness and correctness then and now are quite different and over a ‘golden jubilee’ apart! Zambia had all the opportunities in her Golden Jubilee period to cooperate with Barotseland in her anxious efforts with governments of the day then for the restoration of BA’64. Why it makes sense after the 2012 BNC and UDI mandate one wonders! It is an indisputably wonder of it all, after nearly a Golden Jubilee of toiling!
14. Like a new born baby, the ‘new’ Barotseland Independence programme is irreversible and inevitable like the process of biological birth of an offspring. Additionally, in as much as we cannot reverse time to 26th -27th March, 2012 so it is unthinkable and improbable with our independence status. LET ALL THE ‘DOUBTING THOMASES’ KNOW THAT BAROTSE CHANGE IS FOR REAL, MAY BE DELAYED BUT NOT WRECKED! SO REAL THAT THE ONLY LAST ENEMY TO TACKLE NOW IS THE SOCIAL INERTIA OF HUMAN MINDSET CHANGE, IN BOTH SOME BAROTZISH AND ZAMBIANS TO FINALLY DISENGAGE WITH ZAMBIA AND EMBRACE THE SATIATED REALITY OF BAROTSE CHANGE.
Oh! How lovely the thought.